Everyday Doctrines - Man in Sin
Here is a portion of Westminster Confession of Faith CHAPTER 6, Of the Fall of Man, of Sin, and of the Punishment Thereof
1. Our first parents, being seduced by the subtlety and temptation of Satan, sinned, in eating the forbidden fruit. This their sin, God was pleased, according to his wise and holy counsel, to permit, having purposed to order it to his own glory.
2. By this sin they fell from their original righteousness and communion with God, and so became dead in sin, and wholly defiled in all the parts and faculties of soul and body.
3. They being the root of all mankind, the guilt of this sin was imputed; and the same death in sin, and corrupted nature, conveyed to all their posterity descending from them by ordinary generation.
4. From this original corruption, whereby we are utterly indisposed, disabled, and made opposite to all good, and wholly inclined to all evil, do proceed all actual transgressions.
Salvation is not universal because all creatures are not saved and live eternally with God. But sin in mankind is universal. This is commonly called "original sin". As Adam had covenant unfaithfulness, guilt and defilement (6.2) in the Covenant of Works, so we have covenant unfaithfulness, guilt (condemnation & death) in the Covenant of Works and corrupted nature (defilement) (6.3).
A Scriptural basis for this can be read in the following: Gen.6:5; 1Ki.8:46; Ps.51:5; Rom.3:9-12, 23; 7:18; 1Jn.1:8
J.I.Packer says, "Sin is the universal deformity of human nature, found at every point in every person". (J.I.Packer Concise Theology. p.82)
Here are 10 facts we can state concerning "Original Sin".
1. Sin is "original" in that it is derived from our origin.
2. Sin did not belong to human nature as he created it and entered into covenant with it. God made mankind upright (Eccl.7:29).
3. Sin is not involved in the human processes of reproduction and birth
4. Sin is original as it marks everyone from birth, and is there in the heart before all actual sins.
5. Sin is original as the root source of all actual sins (WCF 6.4)
6. We sin because we are sinners, we are not sinners because we sin.
7. Our disposition determines our conduct.
8. "sin...dwells within me" (Rom.7:20)
9. "The fall brought mankind into an estate of sin and misery." (Shorter Catechism Q./A.17)
10. Sin is original as it derives to us from Adam, our first representative before God.